Friday, June 03, 2011

The Little Man Keeps on Growing Right Before Our Eyes - 42 inches

This little man just keeps on growing. We really didn't even notice it.  Sure, we heard everyone saying how much more he has grown since the last time they saw him, but as a parent you just figure they are being polite - "small" talk as it were.

But we went back to Great America - theme park - this year and they measured him to see what rides he could go on. To our surprise, he was able to go on a new range of rides that he was too small to go on only a year ago.

Summer also noticed this morning that he was bulging out of his pajamas too and he is not plump.  He is just growing like weed - out of control.  We told him no more eggs and french toast for breakfast and no sleeping at bedtime or he will be bigger than us soon.  Interestingly he is happy to eat breakfast now (for the most part) and willing to go to bed on time.  I am not sure I see the link - more eating and sleeping for more rides.  It sounds like manipulation to me.  No, no - not us.  Just a coincidence I am certain.

In any case, everyone goes through this, but it is still a little miracle - so incremental, talking one day, potty training the next, and now dressing himself.  I literally sit there in amazement some mornings watching him dress himself.  It was such a struggle to get his clothes on such as short period of time ago and now he is so proud.  He jumps into our room and says:  "Da Dah" - a bit on the dramatic side but he knows it is a big accomplishment.  We are working on coordinating the outfit but that's another story (literally).

The other part of his growth - the inner growth - is also a wonder.  He said to me before bedtime the other night (in his classic negotiating style):  "What are my options?"  In other words how late can I stay up tonight, how many books can we read before bedtime?  But where did that vocabulary come from - options?  But more important is his heart.  The other night after he practiced on his violin he said he wanted to play a song for us - one he made up for us.  


It was really cute.  It went something like this:
"I love Daddy.  I love Mommy.  I love Sarah (his older sister).  I love Bitsy too (our dog) even when she is a bad girl I still love her."  Here is one rendition of his song below.  It is hard to hear but you get the idea.


What a guy at 4 1/2 years old!



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home